Stay Healthy This Holiday Season
The holiday season is filled with family gatherings, office parties and lots of food! Along with the laughter and cheer, often comes extra calories, but with a little thought and planning, you can enjoy every meal while keeping nutrition and wellness in mind. Here are some tips to help you stay healthy for the upcoming year.
- Fit in exercise most days, aiming for 30 minutes. If you can’t do it all at once, break it into three 10-minute segments throughout the day.
- Don’t skip breakfast; remember, it’s the most important meal of the day and can help prevent overeating later.
- Keep your energy level steady with small, frequent meals (every 3-4 hours).
- Don’t forget to drink water. Aim for 6-8 8oz cups of water each day; try infusing water with lemon/orange slices and mint for a natural flavoring.
- If you’re in charge of the big dinner, chew on gum while preparing the meal.
- Offer main or side dishes that include non-starchy vegetables, 100% whole grain foods and lean meats. Remember the starchy vegetables include potatoes, corn, sweet peas and yams.
- When dinner rolls around, fill your plate with mostly non-starchy vegetables, and limit sweets to a small portion of just your favorite.
- Enjoy every bite of your food by eating slowly and savoring the taste, texture and smell of your food.
- Choose zero calorie drinks such as unsweetened tea or sparkling water.
- Limit yourself to only one glass of wine or alcoholic beverage. If possible, have it with food.
- Try wearing clothes that don’t stretch, you’ll be reminded to stop eating when your stomach has expanded beyond comfort.
- Wait 30 minutes before having seconds and listen to your body’s cues to help you decide if you really need seconds.
- Get family involved in after dinner physical activities to help burn off a few calories!
- Focus on weight maintenance; adopting these tips can help you maintain your weight during the holidays and set you on the right track for focusing on weight loss after the holidays, if that’s your goal.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, HAVE FUN THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!
All YVFWC patients can receive free nutrition consultations with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. Contact your local YVFWC clinic to schedule yours today!